The history of the Institute from 1962 to the present day.
2020 - New editor of the Institute’s journal, May
Dr. Michelle Baybutt (University of Central Lancashire)
2019 - Webinar - Promoting Mental Health and Wellbeing Current Evidence and Practice, November
Speakers were: Sean Russell, Claire Robson and Diane Phimister. Sylvia Cheater, President of IHPE chaired the event.
2018 - National Accident Prevention Strategy launched, October
Strategy development was led by RoSPA, with contributions from organisations including: IHPE; FPH; and the Royal College of Emergency Medicine.
2018 - Professor Keith Tones M.A. MSc. PhD. FFPH. FIHE. (1937-2018)
- IHPE Council Member
- Leading figure in health promotion, nationally and internationally
- Taught many influential health promoters
- Produced seminal articles and books on Health Education and Health Promotion
2018 - Dr John Lloyd – has been awarded an Honorary Vice-President of IHPE
While he was President John drew on his professional background to influence government and policy makers on PSHE and health promotion issues. Since stepping down from office he has continued to contribute substantially to IHPE.
(Dr John Lloyd PhD., B.Ed., M.Ed., Cert Ed., FIHPE.)
2017 - Campaigning for increased funding for public health
For many years the Institute has argued for an increase in public health funding. Some of this work has been in the pages of the BMJ.
Examples of articles can be found here: https://ihpe.org.uk/rapid-responses/
2017 - Conference – Promoting Health: Public Health’s Return to Local Authorities: 4 Years on
he IHPE conference in Leeds covered a wide range of topics including: the role of the DPH; mental health; accident prevention and promoting healthy eating. The evaluations were excellent. The conference was chaired by Professor Sylvia Tilford (President of the IHPE).
2016 - Sylvia Cheater (IHPE’s Treasurer) awarded an MBE in the Queen’s Birthday Honours list
Sylvia was awarded the MBE for services to Women and the community.
2015 - New co-editors of the Institute’s journal
Dr Mark Forshaw (Liverpool John Moores University).
Dr Ruth Cross (Leeds Beckett University)
2013 - Conference – Children and Young Peoples’ Health and Wellbeing October
The IHPE hosted a very successful conference in London on children and young peoples’ health and wellbeing with an emphasis on tackling obesity. The conference was held on the afternoon the Institute’s AGM and was chaired by Dr John Lloyd (President of the IHPE).
Dr John Lloyd (President of IHPE) and Anthea de Barton-Watson at the conference
2013 - Queen’s Garden Party, Buckingham Palace, 6th June
Members of the Institute received invitations to attend the Queen’s Garden Party at Buckingham Palace to mark the 50th Anniversary of the Institute. Her Majesty was also celebrating her anniversary.
Twelve members were invited to represent the Institute.
Pictured left to right:
- Mrs Margaret Palmer,
- Miss Charlotte Jeavons (Council Member),
- Mrs Helen Draper (Membership Secretary),
- Mrs Kathy Lewis (Honorary Secretary),
- Mrs Pamela Eaton,
- Dr Caroline Hart (daughter of Frank Rowntree, the founder of the Institute).
Pictured left to right:
- Dr Oliver Hart,
- Dr John Lloyd (President),
- Professor Stephen Palmer, (Former Editor of the IJHPE),
- Dr Michael Watson (Council Member)
- Mr Ron Rossington (former Treasurer)
2012 - International Journal of Health Promotion and Education – best paper award for 2012
The award was made to Megan Watson and Flora Douglas for their paper describing young people’s views on the environmental determinants of their mental well-being. Grounded in empowerment and feminist theory the participatory research study used photovoice with users of a youth project in a disadvantaged area of a Scottish city.
Megan is shown receiving her award at the AGM on October 9th 2013.
2012 - IHPE 50th Anniversary Parliamentary Reception, 30th October
The Institute celebrated its 50th year anniversary this year at the Houses of Parliament. Rosie Cooper, MP and member of the Health Select Committee kindly offered to host an afternoon tea reception, which took place in the prestigious member’s dining room, situated overlooking the River Thames.
The celebration highlighted the success of the health promotion and education over the past 50 years. It focused on successful initiatives within health promotion and education and the future of health promotion to come.
Baroness Hayman and Professor Chitta Chowdhury
Chi Onwurah MP with Dr Vasan (council member)
2012 - International Journal of Health Promotion and Education
The Institute appoints Routledge as the new publishers.
The Journal is redesigned and now six editions are published each year.
2008 - Professor Anthony Blinkhorn OBE – Life Long Commitment Award 2008
- Joined IHPE (1971)
- Council member (1977)
- Chairperson of IHPE (1981 + 1990)
- Honorary Secretary (1996)
- Editor of IHPE Journal (10 years)
- Honorary Fellowship of IHPE (2008)
2008 Conference – Can we reduce dental inequalities in children?
- Speakers included: The Rt Hon Alan Johnson (Secretary of State for Health); Dr Fiona Adshead (Deputy CMO); Dr Tim Doran; Professor Jonathan Montgomery; Professor Mike Lennon; and Professor Mike Tickle.
2008 - Judi Linney (member of the International Advisory Board for the Institutes Journal) awarded an MBE
She has been a nurse, midwife, health visitor and Director of Public Health.
Her MBE was for services to healthcare and her work as a DPH.
It also honours her work as president of the Twins and Multiple Births Association.
1995 - Professor Anne Charlton – Chairperson 1995
- Chairperson of IHPE (95/96)
- Major work in smoking prevention.
- Research and implementation.
- Youth smoking + Tobacco advertising.
- Played a major part in de-stigmatising cancer
1994 - Fellow of Institute publishes “settings book”
Leo Barics book describes the important change in emphasis from problems to settings. Barić, L (1994) Health promotion and health education in practice. Module 2, The organisational model. Altrincham: Barns Publications.
1990 - Council members produce seminal health promotion text
Health Education: Effectiveness, Efficiency and Equity originally published in 1990. It is now in its 3rd edition. Two of the authors (Keith Tones and Sylvia Tilford) have been key figures in the development and success of the Institute.
1987 - Buckingham Palace Garden Party
Outside Buckingham Palace after attendance at the Queens Garden Party in July 1987.
Pictured left to right:
- Patricia Hobbs, HV Cert, MSc, PhD, MIHE (Vice Chairman)
- Pat Davies (Administrative Secretary)
- Frank St. D. Rowntree OBE, MSc, FRSH, MRIPH, MIPR, FIHE (One of the founders of the Institute)
- Mary Corbridge (Past Chairman)
- Helen McGuiness (Council Member)
1986 - Miss Patricia Joan Whitehead receives OBE for services to health education 1986
Miss Patricia Joan Whitehead MBE MA MIHE
- Officer for Dental Health Education and Recruitment, General Dental Council
- Editorial board member, Institute journal
1986 - Francis St. D. Rowntree receives OBE for his services to public health
Francis St. D. Rowntree 1928-1996, aka Frank Rowntree, received an OBE in 1986 for his services to public health.
- President of the Institute
- Chairman, National Home and Leisure Safety Committee, Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA)
1962 - Foundation
The IHPE is dedicated to maintaining and improving standards in Health Education and Health Promotion.
It was founded in 1962. (Inaugural meeting 28th April 1962).
Thelma Bamford – a founder member